Terms and Conditions:
All students at the Masters of Ballet Academy (MBA) should be able to enjoy the art of dance in a positive, healthy, nurturing and distraction-free environment. Our staff will do their best to promote respectful behaviour from all students, parents and volunteers in the studio and at all MBA Performances and events. Students, parents, family members, and volunteers are expected to observe the following school policies to ensure that each student gets the most out of their time at MBA.
Attendance and commitment
- All students are expected to attend all classes they are registered for as ballet / dance is a disciplined art form that requires students to be completely committed.
- Consistency and focus during classroom training are the most important components in the progress and success of our students.
- Any student who is not prepared for class due to lateness, behaviour misconduct, or not following the dress code may be asked by the teacher or MBA staff to leave the class and/or studio.
- Students are only excused from attendance due to illness, injury, observance of a religious holiday or a family emergency.
- Students are expected to notify the school by email if they are absent from class.
- Students who do not attend class on a regular basis will quickly fall behind, and not build the necessary skills and strength needed to succeed and to progress to the next level.
- MBA expect all forms of dance offered to be taken very seriously. Excessive absences and lateness will be noted and will affect a student’s eligibility to be
promoted to the next level and impact on a student’s ability to perform in productions.
Illness and injuries
- Students should NOT attend class or rehearsal when sick to reduce the possibility of making others ill.
- Injured students are welcome to observe their classes or rehearsals.
- MBA cannot accept responsibility for any injury.
MBA behaviour code
- Absolutely no disruptive behaviour will be tolerated from dancers while in class, waiting for class, or leaving the studio
- MBA Staff, Faculty and Volunteers will be respected at all times.
- Dancers will treat MBA Staff, Faculty, Volunteers and each other with kindness and respect. The golden rule: treat everyone as you would want to be treated.
Use and misuse of facilities
- It is imperative that all young students are reminded to use the toilet before entering the class. All Young students have to be chaperoned to the toilet and this poses a challenge for the teacher during class.
- Students must use the waste bins provided. Respect the MBA Studios as you would your own home.
Behaviour in class
- There will be no talking permitted at any time in class unless the teacher asks the student a question.
- Students may not be dismissed from class at any time without the permission of the teacher.
- Students are not allowed to sit during the class.
- Students are not allowed to hang on the barres for any reason.
- Mirrors may not be touched for any reason.
- No food, gum, drinks (other than water) or street shoes are allowed inside the studios.
- Students must show respect for the facilities and for the property of others.
Lost and found articles
- MBA is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Lost and found items will be held for 30 days; items left longer may be donated to charitable organisations.
- Parents who bring siblings of dancers to the studio must control their children at all times. If a sibling is being disruptive and/or not under parental supervision, the parent and sibling will be asked to leave.
- A parent or guardian must accompany all students under the age of 8 into and out of the MBA facilities.
- Students are not permitted to wait for lifts from their parents outside of the MBA facilities: MBA is not responsible for the monitoring the arrival and departure of students.
- MBA staff will not supervise students after the end of the class; parents must pick up their children on time.
- Students achieve the most success when parents do not observe class on a regular basis.
- It is important for the student to develop a sense of independence and build a relationship with the teacher.
- Parents may only observe a class or rehearsals on observance days scheduled by the MBA staff. If you would like to observe your child on a different day you must contact the studio and be given approval by one of the MBA staff.
- Under no circumstances may a parent communicate with his/her child, enter the studio or disrupt in any way a class in session.
- Parents are expected to follow the same behaviour code as their child. Parents not following studio etiquette and behaviour rules will be asked to leave the studio.
- Students are required to wear ballet uniform clothes and ballet shoes.
- Girl’s hair must be worn in a bun or neatly tied back off the face for all classes.
- Any student or parent who verbally or physically abuses anyone, verbally defies any faculty or staff member, commits any unlawful action, or commits any other action deemed by MBA to be grossly inappropriate will be dismissed from the school immediately.
- A person dismissed from school due to misconduct will not be entitled to any refund.
Class Level placement
- MBA Artistic Directors, and staff are committed to the technical and artistic growth of their students.
- MBA strives to bring each dancer to their individual potential in a supportive and nurturing environment. Level placement policies and casting in productions at MBA are geared to the individual student and at the sole discretion of MBA staff.
- Placement for new students in upper levels will be based on both age evaluation and previous experience.
- The students’ progress is then continuously evaluated, and promotion to the next level is made on an individual basis.
At MBA we are very concerned with the proper and safe advancement of all of our students. We must make sure that a student is both physically and mentally ready to advance before they are moved up to the next level. It is essential that the body is in proper alignment and the muscles strong enough before more advanced exercises are undertaken. Advancing before a student is ready leads to injury which we strive to protect our dancers from.
Poor weather conditions
- No refunds are made for classes not held due to weather conditions.
Illness or absence
- No refunds are made for classes not held due to illnesses or unable to attend to a class.